Foreign relations

Although Cartyas is a somewhat xenophobic country in general, it has official relationships with many countries in the world. The current minister of foreign affairs is Ȧxdeb́e Vȧrneseme, in office since 1 December 2013.

A list of Cartian embassies can be found here.

In Cartyas, the passport exists as official document for identification. In the country itself a passport is needed when you move to a different Town or Field and therefore many people request a passport for the first time when they move outside their Town of Field of origin. People who marry receive a combined passport to which their children can also be added (although this isn't mandatory). Persons who apply for a political job (both local and national) have to identify themselves with a passport. In theory, a person who never marries, always lives in the same place, and doesn't aspire a political career, is perfectly capable to live his life without the need for a passport.

It is not mandatory to keep a passport with you at all times. If the police want to see identification, the Personal Card can be shown, a small cardboard paper that can be easily kept in one's wallet and doesn't take much time, effort and money to request in the place where one lives. There are plans to replace the cardboard card by a plastic variant with a chip that gives easy access to civil registry, taxes, patient files, employment history, pensions, health insurance, etc. but it is unknown if and when this will happen.

If one wants to travel abroad needs a passport and has to request an exit visa in which the destination and intended duration of the trip are mentioned. If someone hasn't returned after the indicated period and hasn't notified family and/or friends, the ministry of foreign affairs can easily contact the country of destination to request more information. Cartians who emigrate have to buy a visa for an unlimited period.

Foreigners who want to visit Cartyas need to have a passport and a visa that can be obtained at the Cartian embassy or consulate in the country of origin or at the Cartian border. In 2013 such a visa cost about 130,-. Apart from that, it is mandatory to request Cartian health insurance, which costs about 90,- and is valid for one year. If a person wants to stay in Cartyas for less than three months, this mandatory insurance only costs 15,- (excl. 10,- administration costs and a short stay surtax of 70,-). Foreigners are required to show the visa to the police every week, for which administration costs are charged as well, but these may vary depending on the Town or Field. When they leave the country after their visit, they pay an exit visa, which costs about 25,-. Although this rule applies as well for persons who travel through Cartyas as a transit destination, there is an exemption for foreign aviation personnel and persons with similar jobs for which it is necessary to visit Cartyas.

There are no transit visas or special regulations for foreigners who want to work in Cartyas, except in the harbour area in Oca (see below). If one enters the country, the activity that one wishes to employ in Cartyas (varying between driving to the next border or walking to the next gate at the airport, and looking for a job) is up to him or her.

In order to accommodate crewmembers of foreign cargo vessels, the harbour area in the city of Oca is a 'free zone', for which more flexible regulations apply. Crewmembers don't have to pay tariff duties or buy a visa for their stay in the harbour, only a work permit suffices, which can be requested by the foreign cargo company for an employee. In general, companies take care of this once a year, in order to request work permits for as many employees at the same time. This exemption only applies for the harbour area; whoever wants to visit the city of Oca itself, still has to buy a visa. The harbour area is therefore a 'free zone' in more than one sense and many (sometimes very dodgy) facilities can be found there to provide entertainment to the foreign crews.